Sunday, May 22, 2016

A Unique Problem

There's a lot of things that I want to write about, so there will likely be a couple of diaries this week. So, let's start with a funny story.

Last Friday, my wife and I finally got to have the opportunity to go out without the kids. We decided to go to the movies to see 'Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising' (which was hilarious. Go see it). We were both wearing shorts and undershirts, and I thought we'd be wearing the same clothes to see the movies. After all, I'm 35 and happily married. I don't have anyone to impress, so I don't care if I go out in public looking like a cross between a homeless person and a college kid that ran out of quarters to use at his dorm's washing machine.

See, he gets it!


My wife felt differently. She put on the clothes that she was wearing when she had been teaching earlier that day. I said to her, "So...we're dressing up for this one, huh? Okay, then."

Dressing up meant to me that I was going to put on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with words on it. About as classy as I'm going to get for going to the movies.

When I put on my jeans, I felt some pain around my thighs, like I was wearing those dumb compression clothes that marketing people swear up and down will make your more fit, but are just really tight clothing.

My legs have gained so much muscle that I can no longer fit into my jeans. They'll fit around my waist just fine, but not my legs.

I had this problem when I was 19 and had just started out lifting weights. The problem of weightlifter legs has returned!

Weightlifter legs are probably the firstiest of first world problems, but they're common. Put "weightlifter legs jeans" into a Google search and you'll see stories on Reddit and other forums complaining about how they're losing body fat off their stomach, but can't fit into their pants because their legs have gotten too big.

I shouldn't be surprised that this is happening, but I am surprised that it's happening this quickly. I'm only squatting in the mid 100s. I didn't expect this to happen until after I hit the 200s, or at least close to it.

I saw a few years ago that there is a market for this particular problem. Some geniuses decided to create jeans built for weightlifters, where you can buy them for the low, low price of $109 plus shipping.

I don't make the kind of money to be spending $109 on jeans, so I'll be wearing shorts and sweats for the time being. I'm just glad that the weather has started warming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment