Sunday, June 12, 2016

A Funny Post About Food

I was going to write a story about my recent workout, where I lifted more than 200 pounds for the first time in my life, and how my fitness was going. But after the news this morning (if you don't know what happened, don't bother looking it up. It's depressing as fuck all), I decided to write a funny story instead, to make sure that someone's Facebook feed had something more than the shit we've been reading about all day. Enjoy.

In my search for tasty, yet healthy meal prep recipes that I can cook all in one day and take to work with me the rest of the week, I found a website called Fit Men Cook. The website shows a bunch of tasty, yet healthy recipes that are easy to make. Many of those recipes are meal prep recipes, including the Epic $75 Meal Prep, which makes five days worth of food for $75.

The past few weeks I've been trying out a few of these recipes. Two weeks ago, I made honey mustard chicken with long grain brown rice. It's an easy recipe that takes a lot of time to make, due to the use of a slow cooker (which, thanks to my wife, we have in our house). The meal was so good that I promised I'd make it for my family as a dinner meal.

On Friday, that time had come. I tossed the chicken and all of the ingredients into a slow cooker, set it on high, and waited to enjoy some chickeny goodness. I added peas so the kids could have a green vegetable to eat, too.

I made a big mistake while making it, though. Here's the list of ingredients for the recipe:

  • 3 3/4 cups cooked long grain brown rice
  • 1 3/4 lb (794g) chicken breasts
  • 1/3 cup Dijon mustard (you can add more according to your preferences)
  • 1/2 cup raw honey
  • 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce (or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
  • 1 tablespoon garlic (paste or minced)
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Like I said, I put ALL of the ingredients in there, including the cayenne pepper, which was optional for a reason.

I have a three year old and a one year old. I learned the hard way that they have no business eating spicy foods at their young age.

Unlike my previous batch, this didn't taste just a little bit spicy, like the spicy chicken sandwich you get at some burger joints. Not even pretty spicy, like your local Mexican cantina. This tasted like every red pepper that had ever been grown in the State of Texas had marched itself right into my mouth.

Funny, I don't remember this recipe calling for The Merciless Chili Pepper of Quetzalacatenango.


As I watched my kids take the first bite of their dinner, I realized that I had left them without anything to drink. So I broke out into a marathon sprint to get them their milk cups so they can eat this dish and not die. Once I set the milk on the table, they drank it like they hadn't drank anything in days.

Something like that.


My oldest kid, Hailey, usually doesn't eat anything unless it's fruit, bologna, or PB&J. So as usual, after taking one bite, she drank her milk and sat, staring off into space. Laurel, my youngest, on the other hand, has never met a food that she didn't like. She'd take a bite, get up from the table, and walk in circles as though she was determined to take another bite, no matter how much pain she would have to endure! It was looking less like she was hungry and more like she was psyching herself up for a fight. She'd take another bite and do the same thing.

After about ten minutes of watching one kid eat nothing, and my other kid look like she was looking more to get in the ring than finish dinner, my mom gave them a bowl of fruit for dinner.

My wife also said that she, "isn't a fan" of the food. For those that have wives that are sensitive to their husband's feelings, the scale of how much they enjoy your cooking goes as follows:

1. I love it! - She loves it.
2. I like it. - Does she like it? I don't know.
3. It's okay. - She doesn't like it.
4. Not a fan. - WHAT IS THIS POISON THAT YOU DARE CALL FOOD! YOU'RE LUCKY I DON'T DIVORCE YOU RIGHT NOW! I'D RATHER EAT PRISON FOOD THAN THIS SHIT! HOW DARE YOU! HOW! DARE! YOU!


Moral of the story: If you're going to make spicy food for a toddler and an infant, don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment